Wednesday, September 3, 2008

an update


Candice Breitz

I was in the Smithsonian's modern art gallery this summer (in DC), and saw a piece of video art that "inspired" me...in other words it made me think. The artist's name is Candice Breitz and her video art is called “Mother” and “Father” (2005). This piece explores the social and cultural roles of mothers and fathers over the past few decades. This idea, or problem in some cases, will be the general basis of the work I would like to complete this semester.

3 comments:

Sanchez said...

so are you just interested in the ideas behind the concept?...or will you try some video art? i think exploring both would be awesome...we need some differant things around here

A Girl Can Always Dream said...

CalArts Film and Video webpage has some interesting videos posted you might want to take a look at.

Keep posting. I'll be checking every Sunday night and probably on and off throughout the week as well.

-Jessica

A Girl Can Always Dream said...

I took a look at the "Mothers and Fathers" video and I can see why you liked it so much.
Very interesting work!

I think this topic of parenthood throughout the decades will be good for you in an artistic sense and fits nicely with your interest in teaching art ed.

I look forward to talking to you more on this subject.

-Jessica